Flag Counter
free counters

Friday, September 26, 2008

The Hurricane Chronicles: Day Six

Written: 9/18/08 (6th in 6- part series) Typed: 9/26/08

Lights out... still. Rumor is that we'll have electricity by the weekend. We can only hope. Yeah Right! If you didn't notice, it's been almost a week since the storm. Last night, we had an unexpected surprise. In the middle of a blackout, we went out to dinner at a 50's style diner. We had never been there for the evening meal, but they even serve breakfast at night! Later that evening, my dad got a a battery and ran a fan a fan system in every bedroom. Meanwhile, today, we are going to a washateria, since it has been before the storm since we last did laundry. I just found out that my pooch has a mysterious limp in left foreleg. An Update: I've been seeing and hearing heavy trucks with arms going up and down our street, and an electric truck doing the same. My dad called the energy company, and he 's been to the Centerpoint website and now they've published a list of zipcodes they will fully restore by by Friday. Ours was on that list. I'm not holding my breath, by the way. Wrong- O! I helped my mom out at the laundromat for a total of three hours, and it was packed to the roof, plus it was extra noisy too. By the we were done, I had three seizures, and a complete loss of my mental faculties. I tell you what, it was a complete madhouse in there! Despite the fighting over washers, we had to play tag over dryers as well. Some folks were so rude as to take dry clothes out of the dryer in order to put theirs in!!! Can you say IMPOLITE? When we got home, after having a bite to eat, it was SO pleasant to do a double- take on who left the stove- top light on. (Sigh, I was really tired) And so this little series of stories has a happy ending save for the fact that Ike was the biggest hurricane to hit Galveston since the storm of 1900. Big storms. Lots more damage and destruction, but every little improvement is a ray of hope.

No comments: