Flag Counter
free counters

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

A Primer For Ocean Fising

Ocean Fishing. Gotta love it, or lump it. You've got to be fanatical to brave mosquitos the size of baseballs, and when I say that they swarm, they swarm. They're not your average mosquitos. Their bites last four or five days. I got up at 3:15 a.m and on the way to the ocean at 4:30. It takes about 1 1/2- 2 hours to get to the ocean from my place, but as my dad and younger brother would have it, we'd have to get their by dawn- fish feeding frenzy time. Indeed, I fed the fish, instead of the other way around. I'm not known for my fishing, freshwater, or ocean. When it comes to lowering the worm or shrimp, I'm known as a Vegetarian: An old Indian word for bad fisherman. I was blessed enough to pull up four throwbacks (fish that you throw back due to size requirements and the like.) Now I know almost every freshwater specieces of fish in Texas, but I'm drawing a blank on the Gulf of Mexicos' residents, but I feed them just the same. The aforesaid inhabitants were just not biting later that day, most likely due to the approach of Hurricane Gustav. When we didn't continue to catch fish on the dock, we moved on, to some real ocean fishing. Due to some light seizures I had on the dock, I took a nap after a snack and I didn't participate in plucking dinner from the ocean. Oh, well. My dad and brother tried, but the fish just wouldn't co-operate. We ate lunch at a great, obscure, burger joint. Every fisherman, and woman in town knew about this place. We headed home after that, itching all the way, in between dozing spells, or at least I did. The warm sun and blue skies took care of that.

No comments: