Flag Counter
free counters

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Speaking In Tongues

To kill a Mockingbird... Lemme think about that. Nope, not gonna happen in this young man's world. I know that they are annoying, especially in the middle of the night, but they do have a curious gift. If you'll hang ten with me, I'll show you where I'm going with this. A few years back, my dad's former company, which was Finnish, by the way, had the company shrink walk in. He gathers the crew around him and asks "what sort of power animal they would want to be." My dad, an American, tried to answer with the most ridiculous critter that ever inhabited our fair orb. Most of the other employees found this excercise in futility, also. My answer to this question: a Mockingbird. See, the Mockingbird doesn't have a song, he just mimics the sound of other birds. So do I, only for people, and I whistle birdsong. In fact, I've trained my dog, Sara, to come to me when she hears the whistle of a Bobwhite. Back to people, though. I've memorized lines from movies, real life etc, So, that's how I "speak in tongues," as it were. Of course, the challenge is the accent. It also helps to collect quotes, and watch your targets often, to get the swing of the accent and speech. So, far, I've nailed G. W. Baily (MASH), and Rev. Jeremiah Wright. It's easy to do; just pick an actor or person in your voice range, and go for it. I also practice talking to myself, even without knowing it. Sadly, I'm my second-best friend. I'd wear out a best friend with all the talkng I've done over the countless years. But, if you dig deep, there is a me under all the quotes, lines, and accents that I do, But I do a who lot more singing, just like a Mockingbird.

No comments: