Flag Counter
free counters

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Memories

It's been a rough 5 1/2 years, since my initial brain surgery, but there have been a few bright spots along the way. Take for instance the three weeks after my initial brain surgery that I spent recouperating at a hospital for children. I shared my room with a bunky that had been injured severely in a bus crash. That crash had made the news, and my roommate was in bad shape. He had to have multiple surgeries to fix different parts of the body that you and I take for granted. He was just 14. I pittied his mom. She was just distraught over her son, so much so, that she bought me a gallon of chocolate milk. Visitors were very welcome, especially on Sunday, as there was nothing planned for that day. My Scoutmaster, now deceased, brought me some implements of the latest troop activity, (Frisbee golf discs) and a lot 0f hockey things, including a player's stick. Also, a scout brought me a humongous cookie, almost a foot in diameter, and a Garfield comic book. We had one field trip. It was to the circus, and it was being held at the American Airlines Center. Before it started, we were allowed to go out on the floor and meet the preformers. I was intrigued by the clown, who was ballancing a large plastic ball with ball with one finger. He transfered the ball to my finger, and it actually spun! It must have been rigged. The circus was terrific, and I brought souvineers back for my roommate who wasn't able to make the trip. I didn't want him to completely miss the action. By the end of the 3- week stint in the hospital, I was well enough to want to race wheelchairs in the hallways. That's when they kicked me out. Actually, I was itching to get out. I 'll never forget the date; August 6th 2002.

No comments: