Flag Counter
free counters

Monday, January 19, 2009

The Denton Record- Chronicles: Day Two

Written: 1-15-09 (Second in a four- part series) Typed: 1-19-09

9:35 a.m. and no takers... yet. The four of my friends and brothers stayed up till all hours last night, going out, and getting on their computers. I heard from the friend we were staying with that he had been talking to all sorts of former associates of mine, and my former best friend (whom I haven't seen in dog's years) We've just drifted apart, that's all. I could have done with some more sleep, however. Buddy, the Hibbard's dog, woke me early on, yapping his little head off. He's quiet now. 11:15 a.m. and they're just now starting to show some signs of life. Now I hear that at least two of them were out 'till 3:30 a.m. in the cock-a-doodle. Little wonder they're tired! At least the other pair made it in by midnight. Planning on going to DRMC for a visit. I have a barnfull of friends I would like to see. More later.

Turns out that the hospital has changed, a lot. I expected some, BUT THIS MUCH IN ONLY 2 YEARS?! There's this new director that's over just about everything. He/ She/or It got rid of the complete Outpatient staff, save for the Outpatient PT Lab. They also made external improvements to the hospital courtyard, the outpatient buildings, even the hospital itself. There was even new flooring installed. My doctors had been gone for a year; every, single, one. So I looked to the hospital staff to help me. I tried to go into inpatient PT, and yet, they didn't recognize me as the volunteer who cleaned wheelchairs and emptied paper boxes for five months. I think I recognized one of them, but again, I was wearing my beard. I had to return my pass, which I needed to do anyway. I contacted the volunteer director, and she made me out. I had a long talk with her about this and that, and what the blazes was going on around here! She confirmed that it was indeed a new manager/ director. So far my head's not turning! I went in to the cafeteria, and they were serving chicken- fried steak. So I walk up to the cashier, who's filling the drink machine with ice, and greeted her by name, and she, without turning around, addressed me by mine! I don't how she did it, but it sure made my day. When I went to pick up my steak, the server there remembered me, too. It's nice to come home to a warm, relatively unchanged cafeteria where everyone knows your name. Then I went up to the fifth floor, to the nurses and doctors who cared for those who had just been in strokes etc. and were learning how to use their limbs again. Usually the nurses were very friendly, and they had a candy jar that I kept full for them. They usually looked the other way when I, as a volunteer, went up to help the patients excercise and feed them. That's what I like doing. Today, I was a stranger. Not a person recognized me. Probably becaused the staff was just- hired (in my opinion) and were so young
A few hours ago, the guys assembled in the garage to put my middle brother's Ford Explorer engine back together so we go out to the old house in Aubrey. We got the ol' gal up and runnin' again in about 20 minutes and left out for our destiation. It wasn't quite as we left it. The lawn had completely grown in on one side, and mom's trees were ripped out. The bed on the other side was bare of trees and flowers, and had a black, ugly, weed guard. Who knows what they did with all the rocks that mom had in her beds! They ripped out the bushes in front of the front windows, too. It was just a disappointing day. To recover from it, we went to eat out at Raphaels, a popular Mexican restaurante' just outside Cross Roads, just East of Denton. The food is still as I remember it... terriffic! You can sure tell the Lord God is watching out over us on this trip. The numerous dings, scrapes, and accidents which we could"ve gotten into were navigated safely. Now to the computer's OS. I'm a Window's guy, and my buddy is a Maccer. Now just trying to figure out all of that out, the Mac, was enough for me. I just wanted to burn a cd, and I had to do everything but unplug the computer. I'll just stick with Windows for now. Before I slept, I had a very informative guitar session my pal's younger brother. He's really got some talent, and then he helped me burn my disc, too. It's about 10 after 11 p.m. and I'm bushed. Let's see Buddy wake me up from this one.

No comments: