Flag Counter
free counters

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Tale of Four Elements Pt. 4

The only thing that can D up early is his truck, and that's exactly what it took to roust him up this morning. He and M were up at daybreak leaving me to slumber. When I finally got out there, He had the truck up on the ramp, and the engine taken apart. 'Only this could happen to us,' I thought. We, out in the middle of a state park, our one reliant vehicle blown to smithereens. Yeah, that's our family, alright.
After breakfast, Sara and I took a walk, nearly a mile in length, when we ran into my parents. They picked us up because my boots and I weren't on friendly terms. The blisters had been on my left heel in the past, now they fit just fine. It was the Achilles heel that was bothering me in my right heel now, and it wasn't exactly causing blisters at the moment. A ways back, when I was playing baseball, a got a foot injury from sliding into 1st base. Turned out I had the same injury now that I had then. Dad informed in the car that one foot was slightly larger than the other. That's the last time I ever bring one pair of shoes on a trip again. After a short trip back to the shelter, My dad and I went out and bought another night at the park, and some cords of wood for a fire. After a quck dropoff, Dad took D into town to get parts for the truck. When they get back, it's my turn to go to Wallyworld. People in Livingston sure do take All Hallow's Eve seriously around here. For instance, this one customer was dressed up to look like she had her head cut off, and everytime I looked at her, I believed it. While we were at the store, we got some shoes for my feet, plus they were open heeled, so that was a plus. We returned to the shelter only to find D and M working on the engine of the truck under the makings of a beautiful sunset. I had to go out and shoot it, of course. Under another shelter just up from the lake, I took up a position in order to capture the waning globe of fire. I moved down the shore, when all of a sudden, I hear the sound of a van pulling up behind me. Lo and behold, a church-group pops out. It was a visit for a day only, I later found out.
Update on the truck: D and M still haven't fixed it yet. They took the water-pump out (the part that gave them trouble to start with.) with only 11 screws. There should've been 12. It's kind'a like the Aggies and 12th man in football. Somewhat. So it was time to pack it in, and wait for another Texas sunrise.
Tried to light a campfire tonight, but the wood was still too wet. We used all of our Eagle Scout skills, but as they say, you have it, or you don't. All the elements were against us, like the cold wind blowing across the lake, and it didn't take long for us to give up and head inside for a Chickenfoot Tournament. It was warmer, anyhow.

No comments: