Flag Counter
free counters

Monday, November 9, 2009

A Tale of Four Elements Pt. 3

Day 3: Rose late, but that's what you're supposed to do on vacations, right? Well, before I could partake of any breakfast whatsoever, I was called away to photograph waterfowl, especially as my brother had enticed them to come within six inches of his shoe with a slice of bread. It was a literall duck-shoot as we got three species that day: A Mallard, an American White Pelican, and a Least Sandpiper, the last two being new on my lifelist since then. You know the saying about things getting getting squirrely? Yeah, well, this situation really did. Try feeding bread to a photogenic squirrel who kinda' reminded me of Obamba that tries to hog the spotlight whenever he can. (All of these pics can be seen on my Facebook account.) When my brother ran out of bread, the critter tried my hand, literally. I was three or four inches away, trying to get the best shot, and up he comes, grabs me by my left forefinger, and checks (frisks?) me for breadcrumbs. I thought he was saying, "Hi, I'm Mr. Roberts. Welcome to the neighborhood." I've never shaken paws with a squirrel before, but he had a strong grip, and you can tell a whole lot about a squirrel from his pawshake, or at least that's what John Wayne said.
Okay, an update on the truck that broke down and was supposed to be the main vehicle's support car. Turns out it needs support in the way of a water pump. D has the parts at home so he and dad are taking the early express outta here to retrieve them
Once a late brunchfast was eaten, the three remaining settled down to play Nerts, which is a cardgame. Mom and the youngest were especially good at it, while I was, well, let's say a bit subpar. Of course, this was the first time I'd played it and I need weeks of assimilation and repetation for anything new to be learned well. So I sat back, and watched my mom smash my brother into the dust. After a few rounds of this, I decided to take the pooch on a walk, and a little exploration plus take pictures. Sounds easy, right? Wrong. With Sara pulling on my five foot leash going for all the scents she could whiff, it definately put my photo shoot on it's shutter. Turned out though, that the pics were salvaged and came out better than I expected. Now to learn how finally use the utility settings on said camera!!! We walked about two miles that day before collapsing in the shelter. Soon after Dad and D returned (After more than eight hours gone.) Mom and M were still at it playing Nertz so I went on another picture walk. You know, after 21-22,000 pics, I think it's time to unoffioially incorporate myself in the picture business. Ben Jones- "Nature Photography" I think that would fill the bill.
With the return of my middle brother, the work on the truck re-commences with him draining the oil from his truck. According to me, that's a dirty job.
I shot a beautiful sunset, devoting what must have been 45 minutes to it. All I can say is WOW!!! If God made the world in six days, what's He going to do 2000 yrs? My pictures don't do His creations justice, just to tell you the truth. I will always miss something, and that's why I have to keep coming back to witness His artwork and Creation all over again.
After dinner, Mom made up a double-batch of dutch-oven brownies. They were beyond perfect!
M wanted to win back some bragging rights he had lost to mom that day, so right after dessert, he and mom sat down to play Nerts again. Meanwhile, us two older ones listed in from the mezzanine. Oh, yeah, did I tell you that we were trying to get some sleep, well at least my other brother was. I was up 'till 02:00 in the a.m. composing the start of this journal which contained easy sentances that would jog the ol' brainbox.

No comments: