Flag Counter
free counters

Monday, July 14, 2008

1 Tripled and Three Years Ago

July. That's a special month for me, brain surgery-wise. It seems like a lifetime ago, and yet everything has happened in that six year period. If you've read any part of this blog, you can understand my frustration at my situation. But, you must understand, I didn't understand that when I decided to have that astroa cytoma brain tumor all those July's ago. I had been acting up with what my doctor called a sinus infection, at least that's what the symptymology was. When I came back to see him, and he took a look in my eyes, and couldn't see the back of the brain, he told my parents that they'd better get me to an ER quickly. That was July 10th. The beginning of what seems like a very, very long road to normality. Heavily dosed, (bombed) lying between consciousness and unconsciousness, I watched "Star Trek: First Contact" for first time. The only reason I bring that up is because, I'm scared silly of that movie. My first brain surgery happened the day after that. As the tumor was in the dead center of my brain, they ran a risk of paralyzing me. I didn't help much, I fear. I had my first Grand Mal seizure right there on the table rendering my right side completely useless. The surgeon kept apologizing to my parents that he didn't do better (he had removed 95% of the tumor; the other 5% was lodged around my memory) but my parents assurred him that he had done all he could do. There's a lot of funny anecdotes I tell about my week in the hospital recovering: I missed the inaugural Chicago race on tv, my fountain imitation, and finally, my last day, the insufferable suppository nurse. At least I got an ambulance ride out of it. I even got to pick the radio station. My last day was on the 19th then I was transfered to a children's hospital that specialized in restoration of the body- PT, OT, ST, among other things. I made quite an arrival. Barely had the medics left the room, then I had to start in with a Grand Mal seizure. Now, I'm quite used to them, but for a kid of 14, your first seizure that you remember having is more than scary. So, I spent three weeks Our Children's Hospital, and I even went home for a visit on my brother's BD. We went out to see Stuart Little 2. An upcoming event was a field trip to the circus. Not only am I huge Stars fan, I had never before been in the arena! We got to go down on the floor and meet some of the acts. OCH was supposed to release me on August 8th, but I begged to be released earlier. So there I was, a free man on August 6th
Now, about four July's later, I took the liberty of going all out on my "graduation" since it's the only one I'll have for a while. I had a 2nd and 3rd brain surgery, and my marbles weren't all there physically, and mentally. So after seven months of hard work, here I was, graduating. The Date: 7-7- o6
I don't what it is about July.

No comments: