Flag Counter
free counters

Friday, May 24, 2013

Home


    Home is where the heart is.
    I was born in Tulsa, and yet, for the ten years my grandparents were alive, there was a lot of traveling back and forth up and down I-35, and I passed Moore every..single..time. I used to look down upon the football field on which my father used to play for school. His mother, my grandma, was a cafeteria worker at the same school  now all probably destroyed. 5/20/13, 5/3/99:  EF-5, EF-4, plus another one all in the span of 14 years. It's not for the faint of heart.
     I lived in Oklahoma  for four years, and then we moved to Austin. So why do I care? It's something that's inside you, calling you back, especially if you know the area in question. I even know what the Moore water tower looks like, or rather looked like if the tornado didn't get it. It'll  be 10 years this November since my grandpa died and we regularly went to go see him, but we didn't Moore a second thought. It was simply another exit that had numbers for street names. We had to go through Moore and OKC to get Westbound on I-40 for Yukon.  NE of OKC was Tulsa. All of the boys were born there, my father and mother's dream home was there.
    I went up there for a football game about two falls ago, and the scenery was just as it should have been, but now...
    The people up there aren't stupid, they know what's going to happen. Their jobs force them to live in "Tornado Alley, " so they suck it up and rebuild, and that's why I love the Sooner State.


No comments: