Flag Counter
free counters

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chasing Ambulances

When I checked out of the Hotel Children's Hosital, I wanted to go to the re-hab place in style, via the ambulance. Yes, it was seven years ago today, but as it was the crux of my complete visit of both hospitals, I wanted to do it right. Waell let's see, if I can remember correctly. My memories were a bit sharper then than they are now, if you subtract the 6320 +/- seizures I've had since then. On my last day in the hospital, the 19th, I woke up (or went to sleep, since the medicine they gave kept me up nights) had a quick run through my food. My right side was still paralized completely so they had quite a time turning me on my stomach, and shoving a suppository home- "The bullet of health." So I had a rotten morning, but it was about to get worse. I was going to be transfered to a children's hospital on the other side of town You know, a boy in my condition who could literally read the stiches on his own head could be given more of a break, but no. Ol' K139 (The room) was soon rid of me, ready for the next patient as soon as mom gave me a bath (Modesty, flying out the window) after I struggle over the steep side. By this time, I was barely dressed, and laying on a table, my belongings all gathered up when who walks in but two paramedics. They have my parents sign a few things, then disappear down the hallway. They return about 10 minutes later, and transfer me from my table to the stretcher. Anyone with 1/2 a brain tied behind their backs could have seen that I was too big for their stretcher, but apparently, one stretcher fit all that day. Once in the back of the vehicle, I was secured in place, and my mom sat at my side. When we were underway one of the drivers asked which radio station I'd like to hear. I replied. '101.1 FM.' He said, more or less, 'That's a good choice. We've had all sorts of kids come through here asking for the same station, and it's drivin' me batty.' After a 30-45 miute drive, we arrived at OCH (Our Children's House)a special re-hab place for children. They deliver me, and there I was to stay for three weeks, until August 6th, but that's another story. What one has to do to ride in an ambulance these days!

No comments: